Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi i have a Rexton Ssan Yong 290 auto, i have problems with

Customer Question

Hi i have a Rexton Ssan Yong 290 auto, i have problems with it going in to drive, it will now only go in to 1 gear.I changed the gear box, I can drive it as a manual in 1sy gear in winter mode but not in drive, i recentley asked this same question, to which i was told it was the wheel sensors. I have changed both sensors, ECU is not showing any faults, and speedo only goes up to 10mph
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
I'm the one that helped you before. If the gearbox and the speed sensors have been changed this only leaves one thing and that's the communication to the gearbox. There has to be a break in the communication from the ECU to the gearbox. This will likely not set a code. The only way that the communication can be tested is with a scan tool by using command test. The scan tool is sending commands to the ECU and the gearbox and this determines the fault. This is likely fixed with a ECU update.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi the guy scanned it today, but could not find any faults, and i don't know if they know how to do an update as i am in Malta, it was the front speed sensors that need replacing wasn't it? any ideas of whatn i can do not sure of the capabilities over here. can you maybe explain what i need to do so then i can explain to them? thanks

Yes it was the front speed sensors. They would be using a tech 2 scan tool and on the scan tool menu there is a option to test the ECU and a option to test the gear box. Being where you are located this scan tool is likely unavailable. This scan tool is how the update would be performed also. No codes will store for this issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for that, it is likely that it will not be a scan tool here, so is there anything else i can do as a quick fix? thanks

Yes most likely there will not be a scan tool there. Unfortantely there is not another way.