Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Vehicle : VW T4 Transporter (2001) I have just replaced

Customer Question

Vehicle : VW T4 Transporter (2001)

I have just replaced my Sony CD stereo with a new Phillips DAB stereo (CEM 3000b).
It came with a ISO connector so it just plugged in and away to go BUT there is one issue!!!

At first it seamed to be working fine but it wasn’t saving the radio channels so after searching on the internet I found out that i
had to swap the red and yellow wires around (this was made easy by the bullet connectors). This solved the problem so the
stereo was now working fine and saving all me preset channels etc….

But my battery is now discharging after 48 hours!

After recharging the battery I disconnected the stereo at the ISO connectors and left the van for a few days and the battery levels were fine. So I reconnected the stereo to the ISO connectors and low and behold the battery drained after 48 hours again.

Any ideas?

Craig.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
There is only two reasons that the stereo will drain the battery. The first is a internal electrical failure to the stereo. The second and more common is a loose or not connected ground wire. The first step to take is to go back over the wiring and be sure all ground wires or connected,secure,and not touching other wires or metal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had to take it to the local car stereo shop in the end as i checked all earth connections etc.

It was a simple fix in the end only took to 2 mins he didn't even charge me.

Because VW's permanent live and ignition wires differ from other car's when i swapped the yellow and red wires around the automatic aerial was still connected to the permanent live so this was draining the battery so he just disconnected this at the bullet connector.

Ok great. I'm glad you got this issue resolved. Thank you.