Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Occasional loss of engine at speed on a 2000 seat ibeza, starts

Customer Question

Occasional loss of engine at speed on a 2000 seat ibeza, starts up by engaging gear or from battery
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Are there any warning lights coming on at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, usually oil, then battery , but while in motion drop back into a low gear and starts, or drop into neutral and it starts no problem with battery it starts in the mornings or when it stalls.It happens maybe 2 times a week. Appears to be when yougo down a hill, or up to interchange on a hill in gear and off the accelerator, then when you apply the pedal for the accelerator it jumps and stalls.

Had local mechanic check computer, no problems reported. changed oil,filters,new plugs,ht wires, had throttle cleaned.

regards Keith

Ok the issue that you are describing is consistent with the ignition switch starting to electrically fail and resulting in the issue that you are having. The ignition switch will fail without warning.