sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

hi, I have a ford transit 2.4DI 2006. I have no hot air

Customer Question

hi,

I have a ford transit 2.4DI 2006. I have no hot air blowing into the cabin , only cold! I have checked the coolant level and its fine, there seems to be a new water pump on the van and i have replaced the thermostat, The heater matrix has also been blown out with compressed air and the air flows through fine. The heater control knobs seem fine inside as the air flow changes when the knob is changed from hot to cold. The hoses leading to the heater matrix do not seem very pressurised, the resovoir tank lid seems like its working as the rest of the coolant system is pressurised and there is no issue with overheating.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello,I'm sorry you haven't received an answer sooner, I hope I can be of assistance.

Does the van have air conditioning? Does the heater not change at all for example go lukewarm? Does the temperature gauge work as normal?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No air conditioning. No change in temperature either. The gauge works as should.

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

as the vehicle doesn't have air conditioning then the temperature flap inside the heater box is controlled by a cable, although you say that you can hear the air flow change you need to make sure the cable is moving the lever to alter the temperature flap.

Also you mention the heater hoses check that both of these are as hot as the rest of the coolant hoses.This engine has 2 thermostats, as well as the main thermostat there is a small thermostat in the end of the coolant distribution manifold that sits just below the inlet manifold, it may be worth replacing this as if this fails the cooling system doesn't operate correctly.

Start with these points, let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The flap control is working fine, the other thermostat is working fine i've checked with a kettle but also put another one in from another transit which was working fine but still no heat. Im completely stumped!

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

if the flap is moving inside the heater box and both heater pipes are the same temperature as the rest of the cooling system but no heat is coming from the heater then this would indicate a blocked heater matrix. I know you blew the heater through with compressed air but the pressure from an air line is a lot more than any pressure in the cooling system. You could try removing and clamping 1 heater hose and see if there is a good coolant flow through the heater matrix.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, the matrix isnt blocked as we got water to flow through fine. Its as if the water is not being pressurised enough, the heater hoses to the matrix do not seem hot enough to provide heat maybe due to a lack of pressure not forcing the hot water to the matrix?

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the only thing that circulates water through the matrix is the water pump, the pressure in the cooling system is generated when the coolant heats up, this doesn't force coolant through the matrix. You mention a new water pump, check that the impeller hasn't come adrift from the pump shaft, as I said earlier the water pump is the only component that circulates coolant.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Regards,

Sean.