Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My Vauxhall corsa active 12V 3 door hatch back 2003 petrol. When

Customer Question

My Vauxhall corsa active 12V 3 door hatch back 2003 petrol.
When ignition switch on hazard lights flash on the panel but actually their are not on.
Same with signal lights.
No remote key so it does not lock remotely.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Normally what causes this issue is a faulty or electrically failing turn signal switch,this is the switch that you use to choose the left and right turn signals. When the switch starts to fail it can result in no activity and result in the issue that you are having.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry. That is not the problem. Signal show on panel. that means switch is ok.. But not indicate outside lights.

Are you a Auto electrician.

Yes. The switch has a 2 part electrical switch one lights the signals inside the vehicle and one lights the signals on the outside of the vehicle. When the switch fails the lights on the panel can light but not the outside lights,the outside lights can come on but no panel,and finally it can result in no panel or outside lights. This is the way the switch is designed. So just because the lights are working in the panel does not eliminate the switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We check the switch and found nothing wrong. I mention to you that even hazerd lights have the same problem.

What about body module control or ECU?

Please let me know the next step.

The ECU does not control this however the body control module does. Since everything else has been eliminated this is a communication issue between the BCM and the signals,there is a internal relay that is built inside of the BCM this needs to be tested with a diagnostic scan tool to determine If its bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can we get BCM tested by someone or can we buy a diagnostic tool.or can we replace the BCM alone with a simillar one.

The BCM needs to be tested while installed in the vehicle,you can buy a scan tool but the tools are very expensive and it would be much cheaper to have the BCM tested at a shop,the BCM can be replaced but the same scan tool will be needed after the replacement to program the BCM. The most cost effective way to handle this issue is at a shop with the proper diagnostic tool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to give you rating provided we have sorted out the problem. Why don't you say exact problem to sort it out.I called for mobile mechanic & he is coming to look at the car on Thursday. Can we fix it before then.

regards,

Gamini

The problem is the internal relay inside of the BCM this requires the BCM to be replaced as the relay is not serviceable. The BCM needs to be replaced and when this is done the BCM has to be mated to the vehicle using a dealer scan tool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am the one replied to you what about BCM. You did not suggest to look into BCM. Once we replace BCM with another it should be programmed. Is n't it. It cost over £100. We are looking at shops near subiton. The car is SORN.

regards,

gamini

Yes the BCM is the last step in this type of issue not the first,this is why I did not suggest it,however now everything else has been eliminated. Even if the BCM comes programmed it still has to be mated with the vehicle using a scan tool,and yes they are expensive to buy the BCM but it is a module.