Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Morning, i recently owned a Porsche(NNN) NNN-NNNNr 28000 miles

Customer Question

Morning, i recently owned a Porsche(NNN) NNN-NNNNr 28000 miles it started smoking and a little noisy just on the first minute or so on start ups. After extensive investigation i was told by my Porsche dealer that the pistons had cracked and damaged the engine and recommended a new engine as that could and probably would be cheaper than a re-build.
They sold the car for me as i couldnt afford the quote, i cut my huge losses and ran.
But now im thinking, was i just unlucky with the car or should that never of happened. If a / the car had no oil how many miles could be done before damage occurs ? The car had regular services but what if they forgot to put engine oil in, is that a possibility ? Im considering writing to head office in Germany explaining the issue and my huge disappointment. You being the professional what action would you of taken. Your feed back would be much appreciated.
regards

Paul
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Paul

A few things to ask here

does the car have a full Porsche service history?
How often did you check the oil level?
When did you last check the oil before the engine failed?
Is this the 3.2 or 3.6 engine?
Did the red oil light come on at any point?

and if the oil level was really low to extent of no getting oil pressure then you'd probably last a couple of miles before something overheated and failed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Matt

The car in question had a 3.8 engine, i bought the car second hand with 18,000 miles and a full Porsche dealer history and during the past 3yrs i owned the car again serviced with a Porsche dealer. The last service was a minor 04/01/12 its every two years or mileage.

At no point did any warning lights appear.

And i never checked the oil during the 3 yrs as the car was regulary serviced i didnt think there was any need to or is that a misconception and still the owners responsibility ?

regards

Paul

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Paul

Arguably with a modern car you don't expect to check the oil level

however I think it may be expected on some Porsche models that the owner does do a check every 1000 miles or so

check your car handbook for the wording on this as it does change from model to model