Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hiI need an advise on which spec of vauxhall insignia is

Customer Question

hi I need an advise on which spec of vauxhall insignia is the best to buy. please help 

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

avoid the 1.9 diesel as it shares a lot of common components with the Alfa romeo engine that is prone to fuel pump and injector issues

I'd got for the 1.6 or 1.4 turbo as both have enough power to move the car briskly along
and are pretty economical

If you want a quick car the V6 turbo is very fast and excellent value 2nd hand

Other General advice

Seems to be a rear brake disc and pad binding problem. The old type of pads can bind, part number: TRW 16586609. The new type do not bind or score the discs, part number: TRW 16586611.

Dual mass flywheel and clutch failures becoming common on both diesel and petrol models after at little as 13,000 miles.

Number of engine fires across Europe through power steering fluid leaking from the reservoir onto the hot exhaust manifold and diesel particulate filter of turbocharged engines.

Case history featured on BBC Watchdog on 3-5-2012. October 2011 TSB refers to the pipe that carries pressurised power steering fluid to the rack cracking or leaking. The cure is to replace the power steering pressure pipe and clip. The fault affects 6,900 Insignia diesels, all manufactured in Germany between 2009 and 2010. You Tube links to Burning Insignia 1 ; Burned out Insignia 2 . Link to BBC Watchdog report.

A/C condensers vulnerable to stone damage. £450 to replace.

Report of electric parking brake automatically releasing on starting the engine.

Report of DMF and transmission bearing failure on 42k mile 2009/59 Insignia CDTI 130 costing £750 + £750 after respective 50% and 80% contributions from Vauxhall.

Seems that there is an acknowledged problem with the brakes on VXRs and that Vauxhall is replacing all four discs and pad sets on VXRs with less than 20,000 miles as a TSB. This is not a VOSA vehoicle safety recall.

Recalls

January/February 2010: TSB over engine hesitation and in the worst case a thermal overload and subsequent destruction of the Diesel Particulate Filter of the 2.0CTDI. Relevant VIN numbers called in to dealers for re-programming of ECU. Helpline 0118 9458500.

October 2011 TSB refers to the pipe that carries pressurised power steering fluid to the rack cracking or leaking. The cure is to replace the power steering pressure pipe and clip. The fault affects 6,900 Insignia diesels, all manufactured in Germany between 2009 and 2010. By 3-5-2012 c63% (of a total of 6,900) of the Insiginas affected had been reworked with the new pipe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking at buying a diesel engine vauxhall insigna not a petrol one as i do a lot of motor way mileage.

Though i love this car and am looking at buying 2010 -2011 plate ,Estate to be specific.So in general would you recommend i go for this car or go for another brand like Ford .

Please advise

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Like I said I can't really reccommend the diesel engine in this car as its likley to give issues down the line based on the problems that have occurred with the donor Alfa unit

If you would definitely want a diesel then Peugeot and Ford both produce a strong deisel engine and the Mondeo is probably the better over all package