Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have an mgf 2000 charging light came on,so changed alternator

Customer Question

I have an mgf 2000 charging light came on,so changed alternator and belt but still no charge and light still on then changed alternator again and fuse at rear of engine compartment still same excepts charging light going on and off when driving,then changed battery,left running for half hour,then battery had charge rate of 13.95 to 15.00 volts but now after a run its back to 11.5 volts but no light on dash now any ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The issue that you are describing is consistent with the ignition switch for the vehicle electrically shorting and causing the issue that you are having with the vehicle.This is common when the switch is failing for the power to be over pulled from the vehicle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, did as you said, changed part, total waste of time problem still there, any further ideas?
Did you change the ignition switch or the key cylinder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Both
Ok the only other thing that will cause this issue is the feed from the ECU to the alternator harness the ECU needs to be tested next which will require a diagnostic scan tool with the proper program.