Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

The heater and air con have stopped on my 2005 1.9tdi

Customer Question

The heater and air con have suddenly stopped on my 2005 1.9tdi Octavia (111k). I believe the problem may be electrical (although fuses appear in order) as I am also experiencing spurious warning lights all of a sudden-including engine management, anti skid, Lights,airbags, power steering. The engine temp warning  light came on as temp suddenly jumped from 90degs into the red in about 15 secs! Please can you help? 3 months ago the aircon was recharged and was working fine.

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

For the a/c and heat,coolant to jump in to the red and for all of these lights to come on all in sequence is a indication that this is a ECU issue.The ECU is loosing communication with the vehicle resulting in the symptoms that you are having.The first step is to have the ECU hooked to a diagnostic machine to test the ECU,this will determine if the ECU has to be replaced or can be reprogramed/updated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will a simple wire brush of terminals in fuse box under bonnet help in any way?

It would not hurt anything to try this first.