Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

i need to change the engine in my vw bora comfortline 1.6 16

Customer Question

i need to change the engine in my vw bora comfortline 1.6 16 valve 105 bhp engine code (AZD). I can get a bora 1.6 16 valve standard bora engine (AKL).I dont understand why codes are different, I need to know if mounting brackets on engine will align to the chassis .Any help appreciated .Regards Michael
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 4 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi my name is Ross, I'm a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

JACUSTOMER-1t8694ou- :

hi ross

JACUSTOMER-1t8694ou- :

i need to know difference between engine code AZD comfortline bora 1.6 petrol, have a bora engine donor but code is AKL ,can you advise

techmachine :

The 1.6L 16v engine varied slightly, the codes depended on the age of the car and where it was built and also related to small diffrences, such as electronic throttle. The AKL engine is however not a 16v engine, this is is the tall block 8v which is a completely different engine. It shares the same engine mounts as do all of the engines from the same vehicle but would need a complete wiring loom, engine ECU and gearbox so the AKL engine is not the best one to use.

techmachine :

To keep things simple, its best to look for a AZD engine, the ATN and AUS engine are 16v but would need the ECU swapping too, however would physically be a straight swap and match to your gearbox.