Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 156 2.4 diesel sportswagon. it has done 150,000 miles,

Customer Question

I have a 156 2.4 diesel sportswagon. it has done 150,000 miles, although had new short enine @ 60,000 due to cracked sump.

I have an intermittent fault which causes the radiator fan to race furiously. The temepature gauge goes up to max and fan stops racing immediately goes back to normal.

Fitted new temperature sensor 2 months which cured the problem, but it has now started again.

I owuld be grateful for any ideas of cause.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
The temperature sensor that you used as a replacement was it the original equipment or aftermarket?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think my local garage fitted a non alfa replacement.

The garage i use is in a rural location in Cornwall. It's policy is to fit pattern spares. Usually there is no problem.

They could find nothing on the computer to suggest why the problem was occuring.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think my garage fitted a non alfa replacement which is their policy.

They could find nothing on the computer to suggest why the fault was occuring.

We fitted a new sensor as a shot in the dark which worked for two months

Ok the issue that you are having is the sensor itself the non original part does not work out very well when it comes to the temp sensor. This is why the issue was resolved for a short while. If this was a communication issue from the ECU to the sensor the problem would show in the ECU test and scan. If you can get the original part this will solve the issue. Basically you have the ECU which sends the signal and then the sensor itself, these are the only two parts that control the sensor.