Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have bought a second hand skoda and within a week the engine

Customer Question

I have bought a second hand skoda and within a week the engine would stop whilst driving. At the same time I have had trouble getting the car to start (after 3-4 tries).
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Is there any check engine light coming on when this happens and can you tell me waht is the engine size and fuel type?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Elena

as you haven't got back to me yet here's some general checks that will apply to both engine types aas I fell that this could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor (pedal position on deisel)

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp ( petrol only )

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V