Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician

My son has a car it is a 1.9 golf GT TDI it wouldnt start

Customer Question

My son has a car it is a 1.9 golf GT TDI it wouldn't start for the last 4 months ,we have took it to a garage who have manged to start it ,but cuts off power in a few seconds ,they can't seem to find the problem ,do you think it is the engine,we have been looking for an engine on this car but cannot find one too
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

Ross :

Hi my name is Ross, I'm a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

Its highly unlikely this is a physical engine fault, this sounds like an electrical or sensor fault somewhere however it could be one of many possible problems so if possible I'm going to need a bit more information.

Firstly - Did anything happen such as the engine cut out while driving prior to the car not starting or did it just refuse to start one day?

Secondly - Do you have any information on what the garage have done to get it to run for a few seconds and any background information on what they have checked so far?

Thanks, Ross.