Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a an Yaris 1.4 Diesel 05. When the car is idling for

Customer Question

I have a an Yaris 1.4 Diesel 2005. When the car is idling for a 1-2 mins and then I accelerate a plume of white smoke appears from the exhaust. It is quite a lot if it is left to idle for longer. Once I press the accelerator hard and hold it down, such as when you're stood at some traffic lights, the plume of smoke appears and then clears as if it's been held up somewhere in the engine/exhaust syste. I though it was dirty fuel at first and I inserted the best diesel (at cost) possile and went for a long journey to clear any blocked pipes but this didn't slove the problem. I've now changed the air filter and still the same. I have no loss of power or oil. I researched to probable causes that it could be the turbo but this would give a steady smoke emission when the engine is reved and would have loss of some power. Other possibilities would be my EGR valve or EGR solenoid. From the above could any one give me more assistance.

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Have you noticed any sort of slight change as per the coolant?

any missfiring or rough idle etc when this happens or before hand?

Any signs of this during start up etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There has been no change in coolant, or any missfiring at any time. No warning lights and everything is normal on start up.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Usually as per white smoke then it can be a sign either water/coolant getting burnt off during combustion - maybe through a fault head/headgasket or white smoke especially so in diesels can be or indicates as such that the fuel injected into the engine is not being burnt completely or unburnt or entering the exhaust system - and usually can be cause by either a fault HP pump high pressure pump timing - too high injection pressure or one of the 4 injectors leaking to much fuel "sometimes a rise in oil level can verifiy that as fuel washing by into the sump" - Water in the fuel or fuel filter "might be worth replacing the filter" - incorrect engine valve timing unlikly if the engine runs fine - low cylinder compression either bad rings or valve seat wear
"maybe worth having checked out" leak down test - exhaust high back pressure - Obviously other factors like petrol in the diesel can have this effect too..but if your sure thats no the case here in regards to a possible missfuelling if the cars used by more than one person then you can disregard that - Usually with turbo issues you would see a sort of blue smoke and it would be continual depending on how bad the oil seals have gone on it aswell as that the trubo would sound louder then it should really - so maybe remove the tubes from the turbo and have look inside and se if there is any build up of oil pooling in there or any excess oil in the intake intercooler tubes.but like i say usually the smoke would have sort of blue look about it - egr sticking or blocked etc would cause performance issues/cutting out mostly aswell as black smoke on hard acceleration usually..but they can be removed and cleaned and then refitted..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still unsure that if this is a timing issue, would this not show continuous white smoke whilst running, even when the car is stationary on tick-over?

As for water in the fuel filter, I've must now been through over 3 full tanks of high quality diesel, not forgetting that I added the fuel additive in the first tank which should have cleared the issue by now. Would this again not produce continuous smoke?

What else would produce this symptom of smoke release by pressing the accelerator hard after idling the engine for a while as the car does run fine otherwise?

Bav

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..i wasn't aware you had put 3 full tanks through it..so yes you would expect anything like bad diesel to of been run through that aswell as the injector cleaner..But usually with any type of running issues it always best to maybe opt to replace the filter...As per above there isn't really much else would cause that as already outlined above unless of course the engine under hard acceleration is dragging in oil from the pcv system crank case vent..but again you would expect to see a blueish tinge to the smoke.whether that's seen or not when revved up..maybe too have quick check for any small engine bay hose tears/especially so any vacuum system lines,Check all the piping, hoses and clamps between the turbo.maybe check for any small fuel leaks etc..Cant really see it being egr as usually these if stuck open or shut can cause power issues/black smoke sometimes,but if you can maybe worth clearing out if it really sooted up..That only leaves as per above maybe the turbo seals is leaking oil under hard throttle.or a failing injector dribbling or to much fuel is being injected into the cylinders.....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late reply.

I managed to change the fuel filter, oil filter, oil, (air filter already done) and added some Vpower cleaner now just to ensure that as I had done 8500miles sinec the last service that it just needed a clean may be.

After running down the motorway at above 70mph for a few miles (hard throttle) a few time unfortunately I've still got the problem hence this late reply.

I suppose my next option is to try and clean erg valve as the fuel filter was very dirty.

In terms of a failing injector dribbling or to much fuel being injected (unburnt I presume) into the cylinders, please could you suggest a rectification method?

Bav

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

Ok..by the sounds of fuel filter looks like it hasnt been done for quite sometime id imagine..It wouldnt be any harm checking out the egr see it does need cleaned out..As far as the injectors go then then will be specialist job to check for any issues with these will need removed to do that..so its really a diesel specialist to check all that out if one of the injectors is playing up...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for you feedback.

I think I'll try and get the EGR cleaned out before having the injectors looked at but would be at the weekend.

Bav

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there thats fine..just continue after this post should need to ask anything else