Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

i have a citroen berlingo 2.0 hdi (BV54 KMY) and sometimes

Customer Question

i have a citroen berlingo 2.0 hdi (BV54 KMY) and sometimes I come to start the vehicle and engine turns over but does not fire. this problem happens totally randomly and every few months and then an hour or so later starts fine first time and carries on problem free until the next time. It is as if the fuel pump is not working or as if immobiliser is on. As this problem is very intermittent it is very difficult by the time I get it to the garage for them to find what the problem is.
However, after searching the internet I find that this is quite a common problem. I am always in fear of being stranded............can you please advise what this problem is. I am sure that citroen are well aware of the problem but no one seems to let me know. thanks steve masrshall
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Are there any warning lights coming on at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no warning lights coming on. Engine turns over just as normal but just won't fire, jump start or even bump start even when towed.

This issue that you are having is consistent with the in tank fuel pump electrically shorting getting hot and shutting down. The problem with a pump that had not completely failed is that it is hard to diagnose for a garage. I have seen this issue before and replacing the pump will solve this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I read that Berlingo has either Siemens or bosch electrics but only one of these types has the in tank pump, I think mine has Bosch electrics..........is that the one without the in tank pump because I can't hear it at all when I turn on the ignition. if it has not got the in tank pump then this can't be the problem can it ???!!!

The Bosch has the intank pump and if you can not hear it at all this indicates that the pump is weak but obviously still has enough power to pump.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

any idea how much to replace this in tank pump should be ball park and how difficult a job is it please ?

The labor would be about 3 hours at the garages hourly labor rate . The pump would be around £175 depending on the shop doing the work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wasn't convinced that if I can't hear the pump that it meant that it was weak. Therefore I contacted citroen who tell me that there is no 'in tank' pump for my van according to the registration number,
It is not a Bosch but a Siemens pump and is not in the tank at all !!!!

Good job I didn't ask the garage to replace it ???!!!!

I am sorry for the mis-communication on this issue.