dansgarage1, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  I have a gnvq level 3 in light vehicle maintance and repair and also a diploma

307 hdi diesel, i put less than half a litre of petrol into

Customer Question

307 hdi diesel, i put less than half a litre of petrol into a empty tank, then topped it up with over 60 litres of diesel and a redex, should i drain the tank for the 60pence of petrol i put in?
Category: Car
Expert:  dansgarage1 replied 3 years ago.

I am Dan, thank you for your question, Firstly you should not worry, I worked for Peugeot for 8 years and made the exact mistake a few times myself with the exact car, sometimes I would put £10.00 in petrol then notice my mistake and fill up the rest of the tank with diesel after every time I made this mistake the car was absolutely fine without draining the tank, the amount you have put in will not cause any problem in my experience with that exact make and model of car so long as you have put less than a litre in and filled up the tank with normal fuel it will dilute it down that much you will not notice any problem... this was a daily problem in our garage some customers would actually fill the tank right up then we would need to drain it right away...

If I can provide you further assistance please do let me know

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks, it was only 62 pence of petrol and over £80 of diesel to dilute it with, and a tanks worth of redex, i was concerned about the injectors and fuel pump.

you really wont notice anything with that amount I have seen people put a small amount of petrol in a diesel to clean it out before as it burns hotter, a small amount cleans up all the soot and carbon, 62 pence then £80 of diesel you really will not have any trouble I can assure you of that.