Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73554018

I just bought a VW Polo TDI (red I to be precise). Car had

Customer Question

I just bought a VW Polo TDI (red I to be precise). Car had been crashed and repaired - paid €9,000 for the car approx £7,000. First day after travelling approx 50 miles, pipe burst coming from Turbo unit. Whizzing sound and loss of power. Got it replaced, next journey traveled 23 miles, pipe burst again. Mechanic I went to was at a loss to know why it was happening. He is a very experienced mechanic. Gerard.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.

Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Have the intercooler checked for blockage if fitted then get back to me .

Is there oil in the turbo and on the inside of the hose ,

Is the hose old , soft and rubbery .

Rgds Greg.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Greg,

I will ask about the Intercooler to be checked for blockage. Will check about oil on turbo also. I saw the hose did not see oil. I had a completely new hose fitted which was a genuine VW part so no the hose was not soft and rubbery. The 2nd section of the pipe that blew out was exactly the same type of cut that the first one exhibited. Very strange. I will get back to you when I have more facts.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Gerard .

If the hose is clean and also the turbo is free of oil the intercooler is clean and free of
obstruction then the turbo is over boosting maybe to a sticking vane .if this is the case turbo will need repairing or replacing . but the biggest and most common issue for a hose blowing off is due to bad fitted hose , oil soaked hose ,weak clamp .

Let me know what you find.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Greg,

It would appear it had something to do with GER or some letters like that and the valves were extremely dirty, hopefully thats the problem solved. I hope the problem is solved now, many thanks for your suggestions. I have been advised to put Diptane into the tank now to clean the thing out so hopefully this will complete the task. When I got the car back yesterday, it is sounding very good and appears to be well again. Bringing it for a 150 mile journey today so hopefully all will be well. I dont wish to have a monthly account with Ask the Mechanic as I intend this to be a once off enquiry. Do I have to get back to this separately.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Gerald .

No problem just enquire at http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/help

Kind regards Greg.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer UK.

As requested your subscription has been cancelled.

The Professional has given you an answer, please remember to rate this answer once you are satisfied. There is no additional charge for follow-up questions.