Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi, I have a 1999 vectra 2.0 DTi i have changed the engine

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1999 vectra 2.0 DTi i have changed the engine as the pump was naff, i have changed the ECU Key chip and reader but i keep getting a fault code saying no/or wrong immobilizer, do i have to change the immobilizer unit as well or a body control unit ?. If so could you tell me which 1 and where they are located
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello.

Mark :

If you have replaced the transponder unit at the ignition lock then that should be enough.

Mark :

If it isn't working or recognising the key then either the unit is faulty or the chip in the key is faulty or has been supplied wrongly.

Mark :

Easiest way to check is with a suitable scan tool.

Mark :

The scan tool needs to be able to read the immobiliser data as well as the engine data.

JACUSTOMER-qnjluwrq- :

i took the engine, chip reader, chip and ecu from a insurance write off i bought and drove the car before removing the engine,

JACUSTOMER-qnjluwrq- :

i have not changed the ignition barrel but took the chip out and put it in the original key

Mark :

Did you not change the receiver unit around the ignition barrel?

JACUSTOMER-qnjluwrq- :

Yes, that's what i call the chip reader, the black ring around the ignition with a box on it

JACUSTOMER-qnjluwrq- :

No matter what i do it still comes back saying No/Wrong immobilizer signal and the engine management light just keeps flashing

Mark :

It sounds like the transponder chip is faulty.