Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My Jaguar X type Diesel overheated on me in Liverpool .I had

Customer Question

My Jaguar X type Diesel overheated on me in Liverpool .I had travelled from North London ,no problems until I entered the Birkenhead tunnel the red overheat light started to flash I continued to drive until I could get a safe place to stop I allowed the Engine to cool down and put some water in it flowed out underneath same . Do you think its likely the Engine is damaged and where can I get a place to fix car at at reasonable price. Thanks Liam.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

If the water is just pouring out from underneath then you will have either a damaged /split coolant hose or a leak from either one of the engine coolant system housing/thermostat housing as such etc that hoses come and go from the engine / check the heater hoses as they can be known to chaff and through time cause leaks if not caught in time and re-routed / water pump or if at the very front bar a coolant hose to and from the radiator the radiator itself has burst..So its is really a case of trying to track it down "the leak" as you mention on the coolant system in regards to where the leak is coming from and that will be the area to concentrate on an try and remedy - it would be kind of hard to say at this stage whether engine damage has occurred.if it was a very short distance between the warning and where you stopped and let it cool then i shouldnt see it - usually that will only be apparent once the leaks dealt with and the system re-bled and see if the temp stays in the normal range after the car properly test driven..aswell as no obvious signs of sudden increased pressure in the system after which. or any cross contamination between the oil and coolant..Usually the best site to check up on local reputable garages to maybe come out and inspect the system to see if its an easy fix like a replacement hose as such and or recover the car to their garage rather then drive it to them - we usually advise to anyone looking for place to take their car is to check this site and see if there is anyone closer to your location.. http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/ ..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok Thanks Robert .

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

No problem - If you need to ask anything else further/advice as such then just continue on this post if need be..