Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Head gasket failure on Rover K series 1.4 16v as in 2005 MG

Customer Question

Head gasket failure on Rover K series 1.4 16v as in 2005 MG ZR. What is the currently recommended fix? Has not been 'cooked' as far as I know - no serious coolant loss or overheat, but failure definite as evidenced by the sump contents.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

When the head gasket fails there is normally not internal damage to the block itself unless the engine was ran in a overheated state for a long while.

The recommended repair is to replace the head gasket,have the head machined or at least checked by a machine shop and to replace the thermostat and coolant.Of the engine will need to be flushed in the event of any intermix with the oil and coolant.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this, though it does not look to me that you have specialist knowledge of the nature of the K engine. I would as you suggest normally have the head skimmed to avoid a repeat experience, however because of the type of casting alloy used I am lead to believe that there is a rather thin skin of 'hard' material at the joint face, below which the material is especially susceptible to corrosion/pitting. The 'stat is good, though there are debates as to the wisdom of its siting on this engine. Whilst I can go to Rover? I wouldn't trust them to 'level' with me (I'm sure you will have come across such difficulties), and would rather have the opinion of an expert on these engines or rally enthusiast. Thanks again

I have replaced these head gaskets many times and these engines are overrated,meaning they are talked up which lead people to be scared to work on them . With that being said I can gladly open the question back up and let it sit there if you would like,just let me know. Thank you.
Also the head can be reworked, I've had it done. However some machine shops will claim they can not.