Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

audi a4 s line 1.9 tdi 2007 not going into gear unless forced

Customer Question

audi a4 s line 1.9 tdi 2007 not going into gear unless forced no crunching noises just realy have to force into gear thought it might have been slave cylinder but replaced whith new cylinder but still the same is it in the selecting mechanism or in the gearbox itself
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hard to select any gear .

Can reverse be selected .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all forward gears can be selected but not without a good push or pull reverse is not so easy to select unless you select it first before starting then let the clutch out it bites right away ase with the rest of them thats why i first thought it was the slave cylinder as i had all ready checked the master cylinder by clamping the flexy hose looks more like a linkage or poss gearbox fault what do you think yourself

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian .

Sounds more like the pressure plate is not releasing the clutch fully ,this is why it bites as soon as you start you let off on the clutch pedal .
If you can select the gears with the engine off then i don't think you have an internal problem .

Can you select all gears with the engine off .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes all gears can be selected with the engine of the fault just happened all of a sudden

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian .

If the pressure on the pedal is even from top to bottom and when you release the clutch the clutch starts to bite right at the bottom then replace the clutch kit complete with Release bearing ,Clutch plate, Pressure plate and Pilot bearing.

You don't have an internal issue

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
.

Need further assistance then please get back to me if needed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI GREG IT DOES NOT HAVE EVEN PRESSURE LIKE I SAID BEFORE IT JUST WENT AND THERE WAS LITTLE RESISTANCE JUST AT THE BOTTOM END THEN I THOUGHT IT MUST BE ONE OF THE CYLINDERS MASTER CYLINDER CHECKED OUT FINE THEN I REPLACED SLAVE CYLINDER BUT STILL THE SAME NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL JUST THE SAME AS IT WAS WHEN IT HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE CAR HAS ONLY DONE 46.000 MILES WOULDNT HAVE THOUGHT CLUTCH PACK WOULD BE WORN OUT AT THAT MILAGE

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian .

Okay thanks this is a different story now if there is no complete pressure in the pedal .

I would go ahead and replace the master cylinder as this is normally the problem and not the slave cylinder ,unless it was leaking .
Master cylinder are known to leak internally and give you this problem .

Follow the clutch line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder you will come across a rubber hose block this off and press the clutch it should be rock hard and not move if the pedal moves down wards replace the master cylinder .

If not rock hard let me know.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i all ready checked master cylinder in my question pedal is rock hard no probs with master cylinder and by the look of it there was no problem with the slave cylinder ithere

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian.

If this is the case, then without any issue the transmission will have to be removed, as this indicates a bad pressure plate .

Remove and inspect Ian then get back to me .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

looks like the only way now is to take the box out to see whats going on will let you no how i get on greg cheers for now

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian ..

Keep me up dated

Register Here

Rgds Greg