Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

we have a 4 cyclinder perkins engine in a forklift.

Customer Question

we have a 4 cyclinder perkins engine in a climax forklift. bought it as a none runner.. it had very little deisel pressure at the injectors at first so i got the pump and injectors done. put it back together but still no go.. cranking plenty fast and have exhaust smoke so must be fueling.. all valves opening and closing and seems to be decent compression.. will kinda kick on easy start but thats it.. there is a master spline on the injector pump so i dont think we could of went wrong there but it do seem like sumthing wrong on the timing end of things.. i think all the timing is done on gears on these engines so i presume that shouldnt of moved at any stage.. it is leaking a bit of compression on 1 of the side plates on the head but definitly shouldnt stop her running..
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome to just answer.

I know the engines very well and are a pig to start in the winter months.

they are very easy to time .

do you have a cold start system fitted?

have you bled the diesel system?

have you done a compression test?

regards rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes fitted a new diesel heater plug in the intake manifold.. we tried to start it various times with easy start so heater plug shouldnt matter.. diesel system is completly bleeded.. plenty of exhaust smoke when cranking..

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex.

I would advise to do a compression test next.

do you know the ratio,s for compression?

regards rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

COMPRESSION NOT A PROBLEM .. WE ALREADY PULLED THE HEAD OFF AND CKECKED VALVES AND PUT ON NEW COPPER HEAD GASKET.. LINERS LOOKED GOOD AND SO DID PISTIONS.. NOT A STRANGER TO MACHANICS BY FAR BUT THIS HAS ME PUZZLED..

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex.

IF YOU THINK THE COMPRESSION IS OK THEN YOU NEED TO RECHECK THE TIMIMG.

WOULD YOU LIKE A DIAGRAM OF THE TIMING SETUP?

IF SO I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SUPPLY THIS UNTIL TONIGHT .

REGARDS ROB

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

LOOKS LIKE IT IS THE NEXT OPTION AT THIS STAGE.. I DONT KNOW HOW IT COULD BE WRONG UNLESS THE ENGINE WAS OUT BEFORE I BOUGHT IT AND WAS SET UP WRONG.. YEA A DIAGRAM WOULD BE GREAT THANKS