Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi i have a Suzuki Ignis 2000 1.3l. I am finding that the engine

Customer Question

Hi i have a Suzuki Ignis 2000 1.3l. I am finding that the engine is cutting out while driving....engine light flickers, car loses power, judders and eventually cuts out altogether. This has happened a few times and follows a similar pattern, usually after around 15 mins of driving, and either when stuck in traffic (ie engine warming up) or shortly after i go over 65mph.
When i leave the car for 15-20 mins it will restart without the problem but does not take long to return. Engine temp gauge remains normal throughout this. Car is due a service but I'm worried there is something far more serious and I'm not keen to waste a lot of money for a garage to explore. Any ideas? Thanks, Stuart.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The issue that you are having is consistent with the fuel pump starting to electrically fail and is overheating and resulting in the issue that you are having.This is a common failure overtime and the fix is to replace the fuel pump.The first step is to have the fuel pressure check and monitored.