Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Hi, Ive recently noticed that my Vauxhall Corsa 1 litre

Customer Question

I've recently noticed that my Vauxhall Corsa 1 litre (02) makes a whistling noise when I accelerate.

It doesn't make it when I start the engine, only when I start to accelerate.

Do you know of anything I could try? (other than taking it to my mechanic!)
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

Ross :

Hi my name is Ross, I'm a car technician and I’ll help with your question.

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

Hi Ross

Ross :

Does this whistling noise sound like it could be air being sucked in?

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

It could well be

Ross :

Ok, there are two common possibilities that would make a noise like this when you accelerate, it sounds like its air being sucked in through a leak on the intake system. Check all of the pipe work from the air filter housing back to the throttle body, it only takes a small leak to make whistling noise.

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

ok. Could it be something to do with the tyres? My wife had a flat tyre a few weeks ago and the AA suggested that we get a new tyre, however on inspection I can't see anything particularly wrong with the tyre.

Ross :

It is possible if the noise occurs as you speed up and goes with the road speed of the car rather than coming specifically as you accelerate.

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

ah ok. How would I know if it's a problem with the tyre? Is it a case of taking it to a tyre repair centre?

Ross :

Yes that's the best way, tyres can make a whine howl or whistling noise sometimes if there is a slight defect in the tyre so its import to get them checked if you suspect this could be the case. Check for anything obvious such as a budlge, or cut in the sidewall of the tyre, otherwise it may be that the tyre structure has become damaged as a result on moving the car with a flat tyre, if the car was driven it causes heat build up in the tyre very quickly which can damage the side wall

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

ah ok. Is there a way of recommending a tyre expert as I am quite sceptical with 'experts'.

Ross :

The most reliable way of finding a tyre expect is to visit a good independent garage, tyre fitters know how to fit tyres, they also like to sell lots of them but a good mechanic will usually be more interested in helping than selling you a new tyre, a good garage which also carrys out MOTs is the best place to look for, an MOT Tester is guaranteed to know exactly what to be looking for.

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

ok. One more thing, I cannot see a locking wheel nut key for my tyres. Where would I be able to buy a new one?

Ross :

It depends if they are original Vauxhall locking nuts or after market. The best way to find out is to visit your local Vauxhall dealer who will be able to identify them and order you a matching key if necessary. If for any reason they are not able to match a key they can be knocked off which unfortunately does damage them and costs around £20-£30 A new set with a matching key can then be fitted.

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

ah ok, thank you very much

Ross :

No problem. If you need further assistance please feel free to ask. Otherwise if your happy with my answer please provide a rating, thanks, Ross.

JACUSTOMER-lsse43af- :

I will. thank you