Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Tripometer keeps zeroing when I start my car,its a vauxhall

Customer Question

Tripometer keeps zeroing when I start my car,it's a vauxhall frontera olympus
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully I can help..

Are any of the digits broken up on the display when starting up?

Is this sudden fault or one that been getting steadily worse/intermittent as such?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The digits are not broken when starting up.

This fault is steadily getting worse/intermittent.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Usually the first check as you have done also in regards to the battery terminals would be the actual battery itself condition/load tested wise,so it certainly would be worth to have the battery tested out.especially so if its fairly old battery and the load on the battery is greater on diesels when starting especially during colder conditions - Its quite possible even though it seems to still start ok it maybe not under cranking enough sustain the trip computer and so it resets at each start up even though the car always as above that would be next check on this provided all other avenues have been checked in regards to the battery terminals are indeed secure/earth points from battery to body..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Before contacting you, I did have the battery checked out by a specialist who has confirmed that the battery is in good working order.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Ok..if that was checked on cold start without time to charge up then that should rule the battery out..other checks as outlined above would have to involve checking all earth not sure wether you've had these checked already but it would be well worth while checking them - They can have faults with likely a fault with the dash unit itself so something to bear in mind..but also double check the fuse isnt loose/blown on the panel in which reference for instrument panel fuse in your handbook you can check for..Apart from that and all else has been check inc the connector on the rear on the instrument panel- it will be likely a wiring fault they will or should have two live feeds to it generally, one which is constantly on, and another which comes on with the turn of ignition.constant live stores memory when you turn off the ignition so its possible the fault could lay there..I do hope this helps further