Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I have had a problem with the heating system matrix system

Customer Question

I have had a problem with the heating system matrix system control modules. The Heating system had been repaired in 2012. Now the same clicking sound has started again. As a customer of Mercedes Benz one has to assume that when the problem was attended to last year, the entire heating system, as part of the fundamental feature of the car, would be inspected and replaced if errors were found in the parts. It is unreasonable for the service manager to inform me that only the warranty for the specific replaced part is applicable. In that case, one has to infer that each time a module motor is malfunctioning, the dashboard has to be removed, the part replaced and the labour costs incurred. This would amount to over £10,000.00, a great way to make money out of the customer. I would like to believe that Mercedes Benz is above this sort of practice.
I have also been informed that this problem is very rare. Could Mercedes Benz not replace this without my incurring additional costs? Please advise.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

To replace the heater unit does involve removing the dashboard. The time involved for this is around 8 hours.

Mark :

Mercedes do only replace a defective component under warranty not the complete assembly.

Mark :

They would have checked the system at the time but if all the other components were ok at this time then there would be no need to replace them. If the garage had replaced them under warranty when there was nothing wrong with them the claim by the garage to Mercedes would have been rejected.

Mark :

As a loyal customer I think the best you could get would be a goodwill contribution towards the costs but they are not obliged to do so but there is no harm in asking.