Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

My DB7 has just come back from having news locks put on it

Customer Question

My DB7 has just come back from having news locks put on it (because my house was burgled and the keys were stolen). It started perfectly well when I picked it up from the garage on Thursday but it will not start now. It is as if the battery is flat, but it is fully charged. Could something have been disturbed/loosened during the course of fitting the new locks which is causing this problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please continue to search, thank you.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

What is the battery voltage at the battery .

Do you hear a click when you try to start .

Does all the warning lights come ON when you first switch on the ignition .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am now away from home so cannot immediately check voltage but so far as I can recall it's a 12 volt Bosch Sealed battery (rather huge)

Yes there is a click when I try to start

Yes the battery warning light comes on, and stays on

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Looks like you have a bad alternator and your battery is now flat .this is why she will not start .
When you get back and you have a voltmeter check the voltage of the battery ,a fully charged battery will have 12.6+ volts and when you try to start the voltage should not drop below 11.5 volts and start if the voltage drops below 9.6 volts then you will get only a click as you said.

If you don't have a volt meter just have the battery recharged or even better try a known good strong battery and start your car if it clicks again with the good battery check the solenoid on the starter motor .
If starts then check the alternator output charge at the battery should have 14 +/- 5 volts if lower than 13 replace the alternator .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks. I will do what you suggest over the weekend.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Thank you and please get back to me on this same page .

Kindest regards Greg.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now tried with a fully charged battery and also by jumping it from my other car, both without success, so I will get the starter motor and solenoid checked out. Thank you for your help.

Kindest regards,

Neil

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Neil .

looks like its the starter like i thought , have this checked andf replaced if needed .

Please get back to me if needed.

Rgds Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Neil .

Please get back to me if needed.

Rgds Greg