Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Golf Mk 6 GTI WK10UJU Mileage 13357. I took my golf back to

Golf Mk 6 GTI WK10UJU Mileage 13357. I took my golf back to the garage I bought it from. I asked them to investigate slipping clutch and noise from clutch area. The result Removed transmission. Found excessive movement in dual mass flywheel and clutch bearing leaking fluid on to clutch. Replaced clutch and flywheel assembly, road tested all OK. Bill £1,401!!!! I expressed disgust I have owned Golf GTI s since 1987. I got 45% discount and had to pay £770.54 to get my car back. Please explain what may have caused this so I can continue to fight to get my money back. If only everything in life was as reliable as a VW is no longer true. My reliable car is my 1966 MGB Roadster! Thanks Gill Quilter (Cornwall)
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

This is the type of question where you probably wont like the answer.

Mark :

You were actually lucky to get 45% discount.

Mark :

You don't say if you bought the car new or secondhand. If it was secondhand then the previous owner could have driven the car incorrectly and caused the damage.

Mark :

I think the reason you got a contribution would be because the clutch cylinder leaked.

Mark :

The dual mass flywheel can be classed as a consumable item and is not covered by warranty for wear. The fluid leak from the clutch would have not caused the flywheel wear.

Customer:

I ordered the car from the Garage. I chose lots of extras. It was brand new. My previous golf gti I bought brand new and I owned it for 11 years. My present golf is my 6th Golf GTI all my Golf GTIs have been brand new. What would cause excessive movement in dual mass flywheel? What would cause clutch bearing to leak fluid on to clutch? These are the questions I need the answers to. That is what I asked earlier today. Looking forward to your answers. Thanks Gill Quilter.

Mark :

The leak from the cylinder is basically just mechanical failure. It doesn't happen often but does happen. This, I think is you just been unlucky. It is also the reason I believe you got the 45% contribution to the cost of repairs.

Mark :

The flywheel is a more contentious issue.

Mark :

Manufacturers tend to blame the driver for failure.

Mark :

Riding the clutch is the most common stated reason for failure. It is also the most common denial from the driver who will say they never do that.

Mark :

I'm not saying you ride the clutch on your vehicle.

Mark :

Why do they fail?

Like any component today they do wear out, whilst they are designed to last the design life of the vehicle (which will vary from one vehicle manufacturer to another) under normal operating conditions, they may wear out quicker under certain circumstances.

Back to Basics

DMFs are there to absorb torsional vibration produced by the engine so therefore any abnormal increase in the amount of vibration will have a massive effect on the life of the DMF.

If a DMF does fail it’s important to identify the cause as just fitting a new DMF will not fix the underlying cause. Look for things like…

• Engine misfires – static and under load

• Uneven running – a cylinder to cylinder imbalance will have a major effect

• Compressions – low compression on one cylinder will create an engine imbalance

• Starting issues – does the vehicle start and stop cleanly, coughing and spluttering on start up will create extra vibration

• Cranking speed – slow cranking speeds will provide prolonged activity within the DMF

• Is the vehicle used for towing or carrying items? – towing excessive loads (particularly common with commercial vehicles) will push a DMF beyond its limits

• Chip tuning – each DMF’s damping rate is tuned to the engine its fitted to, therefore modifying the engine or ECU will drastically shorten the life of the DMF

• Driving style – trying to save fuel by

driving in the wrong gear will labour the engine creating more vibration (common with Taxis)

Mark :

I hope this information helps you.

Mark :

For instance, if you have ever had the car in the garage under warranty for a misfire, you could argue the misfire contributed to the DMF failure. Same for poor starting issues etc.

Customer:

Thanks for the detail. DMF? F=flywheel I presume. What does D and M stand for?

Mark :

Dual Mass Flywheel