Marty
Marty, Bosch Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I have a 2003 mercedes c220 automatic, right hand drive, and

I have a 2003 mercedes c220 automatic, right hand drive, and I want to replace the brake light switch. Where exactly is the brake light switch located, as I cannot find it
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Marty :

Hi, and welcome. My name isXXXXX 2003 W203 chassis did not use the brake light switch above the pedal it uses a brake light switch that is mounted in the brake master cylinder.

Marty :

Full Size Image

Marty :

Click on the image above. Item #35 is the brake pressure switch that activates the brake lights.

Marty :

Please let me know if you need anything else. If you would please take a moment to rate my service today I would appreciate it.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin, it looks like you may not have received my answer in chat mode. I've reposted it below.

Marty :
Full Size Image

Marty :

Marty :

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marty,

Thanks for your help. Yes I can see now that there is no brake light switch above the pedal, however, it is also not in the place you have shown. I do not have an item 35 in my car. However, it does appear to be behind it in the brake servo unit.

Do you know the part number for this as I would like to order one but cannot find the part.

Kevin

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin, can you post your 17 digit vin number for me so I can look up the correct part number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Marty,

It is WDC2030063R081663

My problem is the BAS / ESP Warning lights that flash up. They clear as soon as I restart the car, but they come on regularly and I have read that it is a common problem, usually cured by changing the brake light switch.

Kevin

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I show your car using the switch I posted earlier. You need to look closely underneath the master cylinder. Sometimes it is not clearly visible at first glance. It may be located towards the front of the cylinder and off to the side. The sensor in the booster is not the brake light switch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it have wires coming out of it?

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Yes there should be a wire harness plugged onto the switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Marty,

I have found one on ebay, it is on this link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/01-02-03-04-05-Mercedes-C230-C240-Brake-master-cylinder-sending-sender-unit-OEM-/231103889858?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cedd81c2

This does not show it as being compatible with my C220, but as it is the right part number, am I correct to assume it is compatible?

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is the one and it is compatible with your model.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Marty,

Thanks a million for all your help. I hope this solves my problem.

Kevin

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
You're quite welcome Kevin :-)