Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I drive a 2007 Subaru Tribeca B9, my wife drives a 2006 Subaru

I drive a 2007 Subaru Tribeca B9, my wife drives a 2006 Subaru 2.5 Forester XT on both cars over the last couple of weeks the cruise control light has started flashing, the skid control light has come on solid not flashing and the check engine light has come on solid not flashing. Both cars drive OK but no cruise control available. Has happened previously on my wifes car and cleared when put onto a computer analyser but returns, today is first time it has happened on my car. What is the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The problem that causes this is a failing or failed wheel speed sensor on the vehicles,this is a common failure and directly affects the cruise control.There is one speed sensor for each wheel and the system would need to be scanned with the proper diagnostic tool to determine which is failing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When we have had the Forester put onto an analyser at the garage the fault disappeared and they stated they could not identify where it was coming from. Within a couple of days it reappeared. After appearing on the Tribeca, it lasted for four days then disappeared again but has now reappeared.

Would it be sensible to replace all the sensors on each vehicle? Is this something that I could do or is it necessary to take it into a dealer?
Yes all the sensors on each vehicle can be replaced,however it would be more cost effective to have each sensor ohm tested to find the faulty sensor. This will need to be done by a dealer as the system has to be reset using a diagnostic tool after the replacement.
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.