Rob
Rob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years trade experience
16305601

I have a 1995 2.8 Pajero manual - On Friday last I was involved

I have a 1995 2.8 Pajero manual - On Friday last I was involved in an accident - I was travelling behind another vehicle travelling at approx 15-18 miles per hour (having just overtaken a parked vehicle) I was travelling about 4 car lengths behind the vehicle in front when it stopped suddenly - I applied brakes hard but the car kept going - like a sledge - the brakes did not pull - there was no screeching of tyres etc., it just kept going. and I slammed in to the car in front. The car was MOT'd two months ago - The following day when the road was clearI applied the brakes with the same pressure - at approx 20 - 25 miles per hour - and the same thing happened - I feel that the car should have stopped. I booked the car into the garage yesterday and explained what had happened. The garge can find nothing wrong with the braking system at all. I have had 7 Pajeros and I find myself nervous of it as had a pedestrian walked out in front of me they would have had no chance.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome To Just Answer.
Does the vehicle have ABS fitted.
had you travelled some distance before the accident and the second time your brakes failed .
when was the last time you had your brake fluid changed?
regards rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, I had travelled only 3 miles prior to accident and about 2 miles when I tested the brakes - the brakes didn't fail - there was no pulling - it just kept going - the brakes felt that the were trying to do their job - if that makes sense - it just didn;t stop -felt like sliding on ice - - no it doesn't have ABS fitted - I have just discovered - and brake system has been checked by garage this week.

This is my 7th Pajero and I really don't recall ever having had a problem with brakes on any of them - are Pajero's fitted with ABS as standard or only on specific models - I must say that this is the first time ever that I feel uneasy about driving one as I have always felt that they are the safest 4 x 4

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kathrine.
Thanks for the info.
I think ABS was an optional extra and not that common.
has the brake fluid been change?
regards rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there - thanx - will check with garage - think that I will be looking to having ABS fitted as found experience scary.

kathrine

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kathrine.
The reason for asking if ABS was fitted as this could cause the issue with the brakes.
Having it fitted to your vehicle is not cost effective it would be a lot cheaper to sell yours and purchase one with ABS .
There are some probable causes as to why this happened.
brake fluid.
over time the brake fluid will absorb moisture this will boil at a much lower temperature than brake fluid and brakes do get very hot after a few miles as the moister boils the brakes will fade .
I would get the garage to change the brake fluid first.
the manufacturer recommends that the fluid be change every three years .
regards rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks - I realised after I mentioned to have ABS fitted that it would cost more than the car is worth. Car booked in to have brake fluid checked again. - very helpful.

Thanks again,

Kathrine