Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

2006 Colt Mirage 1.1 grinding/scraping

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2006 Colt Mirage 1.1 with 26k on the meter. Recently it has started to make a grinding noice at times. Generally, it is either when I turn the ignition, so at first I thought it was something with the starter. I noticed that it was more likely to make this grinding/scraping noise if I turned the key a fraction longer. The car has no problem starting, so if I turn the ignition just so that the starter kicks in it makes less noise. In the last couple of days I've noticed that the car is sometimes making the same noise when I come to a stop. It doensn't matter if I'm in gear or not, or if I push the clutch down or keep it up. There is no problem when I gain some speed, then the car is right as rain. Any ideas?

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

From what you are describing this is the starter solenoid that is failing and causing the motor to engage to long or the flywheel teeth or damaged which will also cause this issue.The starter teeth and the flywheel teeth mate together. What I would suggest as a first step is to have the starter motor tested and while the starter is off the flywheel can be inspected.