Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I have a BMW 3 series 2010 plate with roughly 68000 miles on

Customer Question

I have a BMW 3 series 2010 plate with roughly 68000 miles on the clock. I have owned it since June this year and have a 12 month warranty cover as well. My problem is that first gear has started to pop out, so whilst having a service done today at a BMW garage I asked them to look into this ( got the car from Car Shop ). The garage confirmed that it was a gearbox fault. Next step was to call the warranty people RAC provided by car shop to ask them if this will be covered and the BMW garage could do the work as on my warranty it states all mechanical components are covered by the warranty (gearbox). They got in touch with the garage and have said they would need to strip down the entire gearbox and send an independent inspector to see if it's just "wear and tear" if it was then the extra cost labour etc and a new gearbox fitted would cost me many thousands of pounds. So my question is would a gearbox of this age and fault be wear and tear?? I expect the warranty people will go down the wear and tear route and avoid paying up. Any help on this matter is appreciated.
Ps I'm 40 yrs old and drive sensibly.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

What you have been told by the warranty company is standard practise.

Mark :

The warranty isn't actually a warranty. It is an insurance policy and normal wear and tear is not usually covered.

Mark :

As for what is normal wear and tear, that is more difficult to define. You will probably find that if it is determined to be normal wear then it wasn't you that caused it. The previous owner might have abused it.

Mark :

What I would suggest though is if it is wear and tear then you ask the garage you bought it from to cover the repair costs as the wear must have been present when you bought the car.