Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

hi saab 2007 AF40 6 speed auto box car shudders when coming

Customer Question

hi  i have a 2007 saab1.9  tdi diesel sportwagon automatic with a  AF40 6 speed  car shudders when coming to a final stop it ok when the car is cold if you stop and put it into neutral alls aok ,is the gearbox us or is it just low on oil or wrong oil in box 

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

From what you are describing this issue that you are having is a common issue with these particular gear boxes,this issue is the torque converter splines inside of the converter is not splining correctly with the input shaft which results in your issue.The fix to this problem is to have the torque converter replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could it be low oil ive read the wrong oil or low level will cause the same effect

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i drive ok until i get it repaired and will it do any damage if i continue to use it and why is it ok when the car is cold its still the same except the viscosity the torque converter is the same

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i drive it without more damage to the car why is it ok when cold all the components are the same except the tempreture and viscosity or could it be the tcc soloenoid or the vss

The gear box is fine when it is cold because the converter is not hot yet,when its hot is when it causes the most issues. Driving the vehicle in this state can causes further damage to the gear box but not the vehicle. The oil level or type would not cause this problem.
Let me know if you need further assistance,thank you.