Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

golf mk5 gearbox doesnt run smoothly

Customer Question

golf mk5 gearbox doesn't run smoothly
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

I'm assuming that the car has an automatic gearbox fitted and 1st thing to consider is that VW gearbox oil can be specific to the gearbox model

what I'd reccommend is contacting your local VW dealer to check the fluid specification for your gearbox model

if thats OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is an automatic gearbox. GSF supplied me with transmission fluid based on the car reg (OW05FOJ), I put 3.5l of fluid in it. Used 4.0l initially but the gear were slipping a bit, drained about 0.5l, felt better. Now everything works fine except for one thing - when the engine is warm, the reverse switches on with a second or so slight delay and a thud/bang. When cold, it's all fine, no jerks or bangs

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Denis

if its only giving a thud when engaging reverse then this is to be expected with an older transmisson as the reverse gear doesn't have a large clutch like the other gears and can consequently wear quicker so you end up with a bit of a clunk when its engaged

if you try moving the selector to neutral for a 3 seconds or so before selecting reverse I'd expect it to go in with less of a thump as the gears have had time to slow down a bit

Sometimes you can get a bit of an improvement by running the new fluid for 20 miles or so then draining it all off and filling again with fresh as you can't get all the fluid out in 1 drain as about a 3rd stays inside the torque convertor