Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

2010 VW POLO (new model) 1.6 TDI 32K miles on clock. I was

Customer Question

2010 VW POLO (new model) 1.6 TDI 32K miles on clock.
I was driving for about an hour and twenty minutes and the engine management light starting flashing (amber coil) i pulled over and turned engine off, walked around the car
and lifted the bonnet nothing appeared out of the ordinary.
Less than a minute, i continued my journey as i pulled away and went through the gears
i felt vibration in 3rd and 4th gears i then went to 2nd gear and drove another half mile to a service station and parked up. One hour later i drove off looking for a VW dealer
the service department was closed but a rep came out to the car park and after i had explained to him the above he sayed when i return home i should get it looked at.
I returned home with no more incidents. I then booked it in to a VW dealer
and they advised the following
"Fault for injector cylinder 3-checked internal resistance of injector-ok checked wiring-ok intermittant fault with injector no 3-recommend replacement with leak off pipes-carried out software update- cost about £570"
Q : Is the injector cylinder 3 anythink to do with the exhaust system ?
Is there another less expensive way to fix it ?
I'm intending to drive long distance about 400 miles in the short term
would it hold out or should i get it fixed first?
Thanks in advance yours, Christy
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

The vibration you felt was probably a misfire from the engine caused by the faulty injector. If you intend to drive it 400 miles with this fault you will probably cause serious damage to the engine and the exhaust dpf system.

Mark :

I'm surprised though that this isn't covered by either warranty or at least a goodwill contribution from VW due to the low mileage and age of the vehicle. Maybe you didn't ask.

Mark :

The price quoted is actually quite good to replace an injector as they are very expensive to buy. They can also be difficult to remove due to carbon build up on them.