Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

have a audi a3 1.9tdi-sometimes it wont start like immobilizer(starts

Customer Question

have a audi a3 1.9tdi-sometimes it wont start like immobilizer(starts and cuts out)-i have to disconnect battery like to reset car and it starts no problem.car can be grand for a week and then need to do this every 2nd time which is annoying if you pop into shop and then come out to have to lift bonnet to disconnect battery and then start car????
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

When the vehicle won't start,does it turn over at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it starts but immobilzer cuts it out immediately.

Ok this means that a hard fault is stored in the system and this normally comes from a faulty or failing ignition switch the switch almost always has to be replaced in order to fix this issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i put key the dash lights take a second to come on and the clock zeros itself and i know it wont start so i unhook battery and connect again and it starts no bother.????

Yes this is all symptoms of the ignition switch starting to electrically fail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so if i just get a new ignition switch problem will be solved??thanks

Yes that is correct. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there,

ive changed ignition switch and same problem continues.

car starts fine and after a few starts i have to disconnect battery to reset immobilizer and then reconnect battery and car starts fine???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still waiting for reply - dont want to leave bad feedback-want problem sorted-have already paid for correct fix and a new ignition switch which its wasnt!!