Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a Suzuki Swift 1.3GL, 3 door hatch, 2008 plate. I have

Customer Question

I have a Suzuki Swift 1.3GL, 3 door hatch, 2008 plate. I have had the car 3 years and have had no problems with it until now, on 2 occasions now the hazard lights on my car have suddenly started flashing. The first time it happened I wasn't around to see it my neighbour told me and they thought I had gone to the car and sorted it but I hadn't it went on until it drained the battery on my car. the second time I was around but had know idea how to stop it, anyway I started the engine and this stopped the hazards flashing but as soon as I switched the engine off they started flashing again so I had to disconnect the negative feed on the battery. Do you have any idea as to what might be causing this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The issue that you are having is consistent with a failure to the flasher relay,when the relay fails it results in the issue that you are having. To correct the issue the relay will need to be replaced,the relay is located behind the steering wheel inside of the steering column.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Would this have been picked up in a diagnostic test? Is this expensive to fix and do I need to take it to an auto electrician?
No this would have not shown on a diagnostic test. The part is cheap the labor will cost about 2 hours and this can be performed at most garages.