Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

hi I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti it developed a problem

Customer Question

hi I have a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti it developed a problem were the engine fans came on and stayed on and would not cut off even after the engine was turned off. so removed the fuses for the fans which stopped the battery going flat ( no fault codes were present )
then a month or so later I got another call it had cut out I went out to it. the car would not turn over there was no ecu light. plug my tec 2 into it and it would not talk to the ecu no response.
I put down to the ecu being u/s the customer got and identical ecu from eBay I plugged it in and have the same problem no communication from the ecu, any ideas could the replacement one be faulty.
the next step is a new or recon ecu but just want to get a second opinion as this is the first ecu I have had to change and not sure if I have to do anything to get the tec 2 to talk to the ecu
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Ecu's are coded to the vehicle by VIN number and cannot be easily swapped over without reprogramming them.

Mark :

What you need to do first is check the wiring and fuses to see why you are not getting the engine management light coming on.

Mark :

It is possible that if a sensor wire has shorted to earth then it can cause the ecu to shut down to protect it.

Mark :

If you have a tech 2, try using it to commincate with any of the other ecu's on the vehicle. If it can't then it could be a CAN bus or wiring fault.