Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 2005 VW Touran with a tailgate locking issue. Issue: 1.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 VW Touran with a tailgate locking issue.

1. Issue started in winter last year, resolved during the summer and is now back
2. The tailgate handle does not work nor does the key fob button
3. The tailgate lock - self unlocks intermittently whilst doors are not deadlocked

1. Removed panels and locked door lock... nothing happened but handle and fob does not work
2. unplugged handle connector and re-plugged in, this unlocked the lock every time
3. Checked micro-switch on handle, if held for 5 seconds and released, sometimes it would release the lock but not always
4. Pressing / moving wiring had no effect on operation or door release.

Is the issue with the handle ? / solenoid because the current is not enough / wiring / something else ?

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello John,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with your VW locking issue.

The first thing to check on this - over and above what you have already - is the wiring - where it comes through from the car body to the tailgate... check very carefully the wiring - because they can short through damaged wires - causing what you have... low power / high resistance issues causing the fault.

That is a common fault - but - if its not that - then check the actual handle is operating freely. Sometimes they get sticking on the pivots and can cause such problems - but other than that , its generally a faulty lock or solenoid ( that works / shoots the lock )

So you need to work through as above to trace this one down... It will be one or the other - but thats the way to trace it down for sure... then repair as found.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the "OK rating to Excellent ratings" service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Very Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.