Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My 06 Golf Plus engine warning light has come on. The car

Customer Question

The car has less revs when in idle, also when you drive it sound throaty and a little judderey. Is this exhaust? Or a spark plug that is not firing due to we weather? It is clearly a petrol car and the engine warning light is on
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there sorry for the delay..do you still require assistance?

If so..

Can you tell me exactly engine you have?

Whats it service and recent repair history?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1.6 Fsi petrol, last serviced 6 months ago and only done 39000 miles
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Sparkplugs don't tend to stop working due to weather conditions wise..so I cant really se them being the issue..however if they where changed during th last service and are the correct plugs for that engine then you could rule that out..first check within the engine bay to especially so all intake/vacuum line circuit for any fault or tears any small tears in those can give certain symptoms like that also have a quick check of all plug connectors you see just to be sure none have actually become loose etc maybe due to the recent service etc..the lack of revs/throaty sound etc..could be possible restriction in the exhaust system.they can use a heat sensing gun on the exhaust system to see if there are potential blockages or restrictions.that would certainly need to be checked as well as possible leaks that have formed on the system before the oxygen sensors on the exhaust..If it certainly a misfire maybe due to a bad coil or injector/fuel pressure - seeing as you do say the EML is currently on at the moment the best course of action or best advice first from here would be to get the car diagnosed on a suitable diagnostic machine and then see exactly what fault codes you have logged once those have been retrived then we/you better position as to which step to take next as per checks or possible parts replacement...any good garage would usually perform that first in such situations as your currently having..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate