Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

1997 Volvo S 90 Engine running ,dipped headlights should

1997 Volvo S 90

Engine running ,dipped headlights should be on. Dipped headlights are not on but parking lights are on and the green indicator light on the switch is also on. The green light should only be on when lighting switch is on the parking light position. Lighting switch in headlight position all OK main and dipped.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Continue your search please. I can confirm that before the fault occured during daytime running, with no lights switched on, the dipped headlights were on as is normal with Volvos. I'm quite sure of this because for several weeks the sidelight bulbs had failed and were in need of replacement. I hadn't noticed this for some time as I rarely park with the parking lights on.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you find that your question is not getting answered you may want to consider posting your question on the US version of our site, www.justanswer.com, where your question would be made available to a wider range of professionals. You may be able to get an answer faster on the US version of JustAnswer.

You will need to place a new deposit on the US site. So if you would prefer to do this please let me know and I will reverse your charges, so that you can post this question on the US site.

Please let me know if you need further assistance,

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you from here.

Can I just ask -to be sure.. are you saying the "sidlelights" are not on - as they should be with your Volvo - or, the "driving" lights - which are low powered headlamps...??

Plus - do you have the rear side lights on - or not..in the circumstances you describe?

Please just let me know on that , then we can carry on - -

Kind Rgds, MIKE..............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, I hope that I'm getting through to you this way, I've sent the info that you asked for about three times but am not convinced that I have succeeded in mastering your web site.
The info you want is:- Daylight running, the side and tail lights are on but not the low powered headlights. Also the green indicator light on the switch is on which I
believe should only come on when the sidelights are switched on

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
.Hello again..

Thank you - I have your reply - but only the one as showing above.. Im sorry if you have been having troubles....

Ok so what you are saying is seemingly correct - the green light comes on when the side lights are on ( or should be on ) - the side lights being the front small lights and rear tail lights....

That is how they should run - as per Volvo's - when the key is on - the front / rear side lights should be on... so thats right.

The low power driving lights work through the low filament of the halogen bulbs - they should be on when the key is on / engine on... If they are not on... and you have to check carefully because sometimes its difficult to see / tell between the low power drive lights and the low beams... but if they are not, I suspect a module fault... Let me know how you go -but thats how it should be.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, thanks for your response. The low powered dipped healights are definitely not on when the engine is running, only the side and tail lights.

When you suggest module fault is that one of the relays ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for help so far but I'm waiting for a response to my reply on 19th Jan which was :-

The low powered headlights are definitely not on when the engine is running, only the side lights.

When you suggest a fault with a module, what does that mean - is it a relay or what ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, I'm still waiting for a reply, what do you mean by module ? Is it replaceable? I would like to know more before I can rate your service

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..

I wondered what had happened to you -- Im sorry , I have no ideal why you got "lost" as it were... Im sorry about that ..

In answer to the above - you are correct, the green light should be on when the sidelights are on - so thats right.

The low power headlamps are basically the main headlamp ( dip ) bulbs running at low power..so , if your dip works ok, then you know the dip bulbs are ok in themselves.. and the wiring.

I dont have enough vehicle data / info to trace the wiring / relays for you, if you wish you can give me its full reg number - that will help me look further into that for you..thats all I can do from here.. but the above will help you ID how the circuit works / should work..

I will keep a "manual" eye on this to be sure I don't "lose" you again.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike, It would help if you are able to give further info, the Reg No is P548XUA

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, I sent you the reg No. P548XUA on 10th Feb but have heard nothing from you since

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again..

Thank you - I have your reply / info / reg now.. Im afraid I have had some connection issues the last few days due to the rather adverse weather we have here.. so Im sorry I just couldn't reply to you..

So this is just a courtesy reply to let you know Im with you - I will look further into this for you and get back to you asap.

No need to reply to this -

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike,

I look forward to more info about the module / relay

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again...

Thank you - my apologies for the delay... Ok with regard to this , I feel it will be best if I send you info I have on the way the daylight running system works - toward the end (of the following info) it shows how in some markets, the system can be turned off...and on. So - rather than try and explain it - I'll send you the info I have in full on this - have a read through and hopefully that will help you with this. Im thinking that if yours is in the market where they can be switched off - that may have inadvertently happened - in which case, the info as follows will help you there -

Here you go my friend :

Headlights and parking lights

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
All lights off *

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Parking lights on **

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Headlights and parking lights are on if starting (ignition) switch is in position I or II.

If the headlight switch is in position

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
all lights will go out when starting switch is switched off.
With the headlight switch in position

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
the parking lights will stay on (headlights off) with the daytime running light switch (A) in position

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
.
The high beams can only be switched on if the headlight switch is in position

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
.
Switch from high to low beams, and vice versa, by moving the turn signal switch lever on the left side of the steering column towards the steering wheel.
* Models equipped with daytime running lights: The low beams, tail lights, parking lights and license plate lights will come on automatically when the ignition is switched on.
Automatic daytime running lights
NOTE: The daytime running light function may only be disabled (turned off) in the U.S. - Canadian law mandates the use of daytime running lights.
Screw A in the illustration (available on U.S. models only) is used to control the automatic daytime running lights when the headlight switch is in position 0. To adjust, press in the screw with a small screwdriver and turn to one of the following positions:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Automatic daytime running lights

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Automatic daytime running lights
** The daytime running lights will also function when the headlight switch is in position

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
and switch A is in this position.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
All lights off (daytime running light function disabled)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

End.

So let me know how you get on...

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike,

That was the answer, I've had the car 14 years and the lights have always been as they should be until the time of my initial query to you.

So now my problem, (nothing to do with you) is to find out who or how the screw was turned from the on position.

Thanks again, case closed. I'll mark you as exceptionally persistent.

I still don't know how a resistance is put into the circuit to achieve the low powered dipped headlights of daytime running. Do you have an address for Volvo technical enquiries?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for your reply - Im very very pleased all is sorted.

Im afraid I dont know how the screw could have got turned neither - but Im glad it was.. if you are with me ! ;)

As for Volvo technical enquiries , Im afraid I don't - all I can suggest there is that you could ask at a dealership - as in, they can get in touch with them as and when they need. The other way might be to go to the Volvo Uk site - contact them -customer services and ask them - they should be able to give you a contact address that way.

Once again - Im very glad to have helped you - and thank you for your kind comments.

If there is ever anything else - you are welcome to come back to me anytime -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.