Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

diaks and clocks go dead 3 seconds after the engine starts,

Customer Question

diaks and clocks go dead 3 seconds after the engine starts, display works fine till then
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fault is still present and would like to know what the source of the problem is.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If you cant assist me or furnish an answer within 48hours then I suggest a full refund would be a reasonable conclusion.

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. However should you wish to cancel your question please let me know, and I will do that for you.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Does the car continue to run / engine keep going with a dead dash?

also what engine size and fuel type is this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Engine is the 140bhp 2litre diesel with the common rail pump system. The engine runs as normal with the display dead and all the controls work wipers, indicators washers and everything works except warning lights, rev counter, speedo, fuel guage, temp guage and instrument lights. It all stops working exactly 3 seconds after the engine starts. Any ideas?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd say that either the dash is faulty or th econnection to it has a poor conneciton

I'd suggest 1st thing to try is removing the dash instruments and cleaning the contacts on the connector with a squirt of contact cleaner and check over the dash wiring harness for cracked / damaged insulation

Ifv that doesn't help I'd suggest sending the dash instruments off for repair an I can reccommend this firm

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category=656