Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

The timing belt on my sokda octavia is squealing (1.9sdi 1999).

Customer Question

The timing belt on my sokda octavia is squealing (1.9sdi 1999). I replaced the alternator and pulley recenlty as it had seized. i had thought this was the cure for squealing and it did go away for 6 months. It has started again. when engines warms it stops but engine had started to have burning smell. I took off the cover of the timing belt and it seemded to come from the center of the camshaft, i sprayed a tiny bit of bike oil psray and it stopped immediatelty. Though after 100 miles it's back but not as bad. I'm not sure it could be a bearing on the cam shaft, is it likley to be a tensioner and if so do i need to replace the timing belt and tensioner? I'm not sure whether this is a job i can tackle and wonder how easy it may be and can it happen with engine still in the car? The car has now done about 90,000 miles.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

the timing belt should be replaced every 60K miles or every 4 years so if your's is noisy then I think you may be getting a warning that its overdue a replacement and its usual to replace the tension pulley at the same time and the water pump evey 2nd belt change

it can be done with the engine in and its about 1/2 days labour at a regular garage

if you're reasonably competant with the spanners then you can do it but any doubts and I'd leave to the professionals

if you want to tackle it yourself let me know and I'll post up the procedure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for the reply, if it is easy to post the procedure that would be helpful. i'm happy with some diy mechanis but have not done a timing belt before. i looked at haynes and the part that concer4nd me was using feeler gauges to establish a mid point before dismantling, this sounded like a need for experience in jduging whether this had been done correctly.
P.S. i'm not in a particlaur hurry for answer.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
OK Brian

I'm away from from database but I'll post the procedure up tonight