Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 1999 Skoda Felicia magic,

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Skoda Felicia magic, reg no V267 HGG, with power steering but no a/c, with a drivebelt that needs repalacing. Neither the Haynes manual nor my local garage can tell me how first to slacken and remove it and then to re-install and retension. I am mystified because the alternator appears to have two fixed bolts rather than the upper one being in a sliding groove. kind regards, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andrew,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, Shantal, there is no hurry on this one, and if it is too hard, please just refund via Paypal the £21 I have paid.

Kind regards, Andrew

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Andrew and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ..

There are two type of tensioner - one manual one automatic and yours should be the latter..

This works by a large strong spring in the tensioner assembly that pushes the tensioner wheel against the belt.. once you understand that, you realise how it works, you see how it needs to be removed - the tension that is..

To do this you use a spanner ( ideally ring ) on the centre nut and push really hard - you will see the tensioner start to move away from the belt - the belt loosen, if you are pushing on the right direction.. if not - swap over and push the other way.

Bear in mind, its very tight / strong tension - so it helps to "extend" your spanner with another locked on to it or however you decide depending on what tools you have - and once again - push the tensioner assembly away from the belt - then remove the belt carefully - and let the tension go back - carefully to rest.

Before starting the job, make a careful note as to how the belt goes around the various pulleys - so you get it right when you put it back - it will only go on one way...correctly. Then once the belt is placed around the pulleys - when you are ready - re do the tensioner as above to allow the belt to go over all the pulleys - then allow the tensioner to come back on to the belt -to tension it.

Now - IF you have the manual one - you will see under the tensioner that there is an adjusting nut so as to slide the tensioner wheel and assembly to release the tension - and re tighten the tension . You may find it a lot easier to get more access to jack the car up - remove the road wheel and work under the wing....

Still another type did have the "moving" alternator - slide to release adjust tension but that was the older type if I recall correctly- but either way , you will clearly see removing the wheel as above and then work as above.

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your reply- it must be automatic tensioning.I had a crack at it this afternoon, but couldn't move any of the five wheels, not surprising for the four that serve the crankshaft, the water pump, the power steering and the alternator. The space is also very limited for getting spanners on - there is one teardrop hole in the inner wing quite high up but the revealed nut was very stiff and seemed to hold the upper engine mounting. There is a small smooth wheel at the top which does not serve anything but pushes the belt down before it runs to the alternator -this seems the obvious one to make changing easy but it seems immoveable and attached to the!

kind regards, Andrew PS My no is 01428-724113 is you would like to call

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Mike,

I am afraid that I still have not had a reply to my email to you of 18th Jan.

Kind regards, Andrew Scott Plummer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Mike,

I keep getting emails asking me to rate your service, but cannot do this until you have been able to reply to my email of18th Jan.

Could you please now reply, or if it is too difficult arrange for my payment to be reimbursed via Paypal.

Kind regards, Andrew