Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

2006 xj 4.2 starting problem turn on ignition dash lights

Customer Question

2006 xj 4.2 starting problem
turn on ignition dash lights up, but the battery symbel comes on then off very quickly.
turn cranck engine nothing . Keep trying when it sudenly starts everything seems fine,
and its charging ok .I have fitted a new battery as per hand book, the car is fine with the keys. this is over two years but not very often, but the last month it has bad.
i think its worse since i changed the baterry

Philip Hooper, [email protected]
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Richard,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please carry on

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having with the vehicle is consistent with a electrically failing ignition switch which is a common failure. The ignition switch is where the starter gets its power and signal from to spin over and crank the vehicle. The ignition switch will likely need to be replaced.