Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

2002 skoda octavia estate. Footwell behind driver (Right hand

Customer Question

2002 skoda octavia estate. Footwell behind driver (Right hand Drive) fills up with water. What do i do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

1st thing to do is check that the plenum chamber thats under the windscreen panel , you have to remove the plastic cover 1st
its the entrance to cabin air that feeds the blower fan and its common for its drainage path to become blocked up

if this is OK then if the car has AC then this could be the AC drain pipe thats come adrift or is clogged under the car and backing up the system.

To get to the pipe you access it from under the car

Also worth checking that the door seals don't have any rips or tears and that they're touching all round the door - best way to confirm this is to rub some vaseline into the seal and close the door then when you re-open it check that the grease line is all the way round and check where theres any gaps - as this indicates the seal isn't touching

also check that the sunroof drains are free and clear and these should vent out under the car and can become silted up and rust though due to the trapped water - If you look in the corners of the sunroof well in the roof you should spot a small hole / channel which is the entrance to the drain
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, but weather has been so bad haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Understood

just get back to me on this post if you need more help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've unclogged drain in front of steering wheel and water is no longer running into the car, I can't tell whether this has solved the problem yet as car needs to dry out.

I had to get further advice from friendly mechanic as to how to get the windscreen wiper blades off (wiggle them, as the connection is conical). Some pictures would have helped! I can't get the plastic cover snug onto the windscreen, is there a knack or should I use silicone to plug the gaps?

I'll rate your advice when I'm sure problem is solved. Thanks so far.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Richard

what really helps is a bit of heat as doing it in cold weather outside means the plastic is stiff and brittle

I'd suggest using a hair drier or hot air gun on low to heat the panel up and also ensure that the little rubber strip sits square and that the panel is fully into the groove at the base of the windscreen