Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi iv replaced my rear shocks on my 1.2 clio however one bolt

Customer Question

Hi iv replaced my rear shocks on my 1.2 clio however one bolt snapped. What would you recommend doing?

Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

You should not weld the shock absorber to the frame.

Mark :

I would attempt to remove the broken piece from the captive nut. You might be able to remove it by heating the captive nut and vice grips to unscrew the broken bolt.

Mark :

The next option would be to drill out the broken bolt and then either recut the threads and fit a new bolt or drill out the broken piece oversize and fit a helicoil thread insert.

JACUSTOMER-39e1iuf4- :

Hi mark. What sort of drill bit would you recommend as iv tried drilling a bolt befor on my wheel hub and just ended up replaceing it as got no were. The bolt has snapped flush with surface so can't get vice grips to it.

Mark :

The best drill bit would be one made from cobalt.

Mark :

You would need various sizes. Start small to get exact centre of bolt and then gradually increase diameter.