Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I seem to have a diesel fuel problem on my Rover 75 estate.

Customer Question

I seem to have a diesel fuel problem on my Rover 75 estate. The car is a 75 Connoisseur CDT Tourer.

The car will be fine and then allof a sudden it will lose power going up hill, once over the hill it will pick up speed again although it will not respond as it normally does. When tickingover it is very lumpy as though it is missing.

Any idears.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help.

Do you notice if possible any excess smoke when this fault occurs ie:- black etc?

Any engine warning lights come up since this faulty occurred?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert

No smoke and no warning lights.

I have felt the pump under the bonnet and it feels like it is running.

Peter

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..yes that pumps actually the second lift pump under the bonnet - theres another in the tank itself..if you lift the back seat behind on the drivers side you see a black plate you need to remove and then under that will be the intank pump - somtimes these have an issue of cutting out or failing and putting added pressure on the second pump under the bonnet to drag the fuel through..so certainly listen out and see if that pumps working by turning the ignition and listen for the pump priming.its not too uncommon for those pumps to fail and its usually always the intank one that goes resulting in the second one going fairly soon after..the high pressure one on the engine doesnt often suffer faults so it highly unlikely that will be the issue..it might also be worth trying new fuel filter that pretty much next or near the second pump under the bonnet...also maybe try disconnecting the MAF sensor as a temp measure and see if that improves anything if it does then id try a new maf on that. that's located just after the air filter box and has a multi plug going to it.also double all the intake hose/intercooler hoses for any tears/leaks etc..aswell as any small diesel leaks around the injectors/small leak of lines etc.also one other routine check on these cars mostly is to check your drainage plenum chamber below the windscreen on the passenger side..you need to remove the black cover and down in there you see a black box with wiring loom thats the main ecu.ensure that isnt wet or the plenum chamber isnt full of water .I do hope this helps..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert

I have removed the back set and the tank pump cover plate. When I turn on the ignition I can feel anf hear the pump runner under the bonnet but cannot hear anything from the pump in the tank. I assume that this should run the same as the other pump i.e. for about 40 secs when you turn on the ignition.

Could you please confirm that this is the problem and also let me know how to replace the pump. I could not see any bolts or screws so I assume that the pump is fixed to the tank it self and you just twist it out.

You help here would be appreciated.

Peter

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..you need to remove the plug connector and check with either a testlight/multimeter it is actually getting a feed when the ignition is turned - If it has when the ignition is turned then the pump is most likly the issue if not then you'll need to trace back the wiring and also check fuel lift pump relay - As you see there will be large silver ring with raised bits all the way round..you need to try and turn that anticlockwise as that whats holding the pump down into the tank..either use flathead screwdriver/hammer and chap it round till it starts to move and the rest can be done by hand..you need to remove the fuel lines first aswell as that plug out the way..then once the rings off slowly lift the unit out.. reconnect it back up with the connector and re-test and see if it responds..if not then again confirmation the pumps gone..you can do the same test once you aquire a replacement unit.to make sure its working

- the next step is to pull the whole unit out aswell as the remote arm that fits to the tray you see at the bottom and disappears into the tank - that the trickiest part to get in and out and seated so bear that in mind epsecially so if the tanks got alot of diesel in it..its is generally advised to drain the tank enough through that opening and can make life alot easier.optional..you will ned to undo a hose line in the tank aswell as small connector..once you have the remote arm out then the whole lot is then taken out inc manipulate it out the tank..then the replacement one can be fitted and is basically reversal of removal - again the remote arm will be pain to get back in and seated into the tnak.tray at the bottom..but once you get it reseated then is a case of manipulating the pump housing inc float into the tank and to line up the tab on the top with the opening in the tank..but before which please make sure you aquire another new tank ring seal.and make it is seated correctly around the opening in the tank.once that done then slowly push the housing back in till the bottom of the pump housing sits in the tray inside the tank.you'll know its properly in as the housing will be now near flush with the tnak opening as it was before you remove it.hold it down and then put the tank ring back on by screwing it back on - make sure it doesnt cross thread just till you feel it grip then just screw it back down tight as it will go..then with the screwdriver/hammer chap it round till it properly tight or stops turning any further not to much or damage the ring or the tank threads..then put the fuel lines back on and then the plug connector..then re-test again or test drive car and see if it improved...like i say replacing these isnt the easiest of jobs especially if you haven't done them before - so if you feel it might be best suited to a garage then i would advise that for sure..as ive done loads of these and know these units as a whole arent cheap or second hand can be like hens teeth in some cases locally due to the nature of these pumps being a common fault..but as above certainly check its getting feed first..if it does and your 100% sure the pumps isnt working even by just partically removing then you'll know what step you need to take next..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Pump unit/remote arm as a whole..so you know what it looks like out the tank