Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

HI i have a vauxhall combo van 04 1700 isuzu lump it tickover

Customer Question

HI i have a vauxhall combo van 04 1700 isuzu lump it tickover lumpy i have changed the edu and the crankshft sensor
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Can you tell me does the engine start ok when cold?

Mark :

Does it smooth out as it warms up or is it only lumpy when warm?

Mark :

What is the current mileage?

Mark :

When did it last get a major service, not just oil and filter change?

Customer :

Hi it starts up but it used to start on the turn of the key but it takes more than 3or4 turns.

Customer :

Its lumpy when warm , Mileage 14100 , Major service was done just be for i got it.

Mark :

Is the mileage 141,000 or 14,100

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Is the mileage 141,000 or 14,100?

Was the major service done by a vauxhall garage?

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark

141,000 and it was done by vauxhall

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

I'm 99% certain that your fault will be due to the tappets needing adjusted. This one of the service jobs that should be done on a regular basis but always seems to be missed.

Mark.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Tappets.

Mark.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

As you can see from the instructions this job is a bit of a pain and time consuming. This is why it is rarely done. It is charged as an extra and not as part of the routine service.

At your mileage it should have been done at least once before.

It's also about a 3hr job.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But when you turn the van off it will not start untill it gets cold .

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

That's correct.

If you look at my opening questions I was trying to information from you about how the fault occurs, hot, cold starting etc.

What happens is over time the valve clearances reduce. As the engine heats up the gap reduces even further until the valve is almost lifted of the valve seat. This causes a minor compression reduction and the lumpiness. As a diesel relies on compression for starting it also makes this more difficult than when cold.

Starting when cold is three or four turns rather than immediate. This compression being built up. When hot compression is lost even more.

Mark

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the van was fine untill i stop at the lights then it was lumpy i got to work turn it of then i tried to start but it would not start so i called the RAC and it started he all so looked for fort codes but no codes came up.

My son just said to me that the tickover is ok for 5 sec and drops off and back up a gain when warm and there was a fort code that was a spill valve and some blue smoke.

Terry

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me the full sequence of events that lead to you replacing parts you did, what the engine was doing for you to replace those parts, if replacing those parts made any difference and what it is doing now.

Please be explicit and take your time to list in order the sequence of events as it helps to provide a diagnosis.

I can only advise from the information you give me. If you keep changing or adding bits then it makes my job more difficult.

Saying that, I would still advise you get tappets checked as most of what you describe could still be caused by tappets.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mark

I changed the egu and it was still the same then the crankshaft sensor and still the same.

Changed the airflow meter and still the same.

turns over 3to4 times before it starts up then then when it gets warm tickover 5sec and drops back down and up again if you drive it and stop and turn the van off it will not start up until its cool down. Terry

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

I would still say the tappets are needing looked at.

What fault finding did you do to come to the conclusions to replace the crank sensor, air mass meter and control unit. Did you check wiring or just guess.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi reading on the net i am going back to the garage where thay did the test to see what comes up on the codes. terry

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

You haven't mentioned it had fault codes.

I asked you why you had replaced the parts you had, Was it a guess or did you have a reason too. Although any reason you had must have been wrong because it didn't cure the problem.

Maybe I forgot to mention, I was a Vauxhall master technician / electrician and have seen this fault many times.

Mark